Sweet & Spicy Thai Chicken Soup with Three Kings
This refreshing sweet & spicy soup is perfect for a summer dinner. Light and healthy, this soup gets its kick from Three Kings Smoky+Spicy+Sweet Rub.
Sweet & Spicy Thai Chicken Soup with Three Kings Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 20 Mins Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1 medium onion
- 1 chunk fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lime
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 small jalapeño pepper
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 5 leaves fresh basil
- 1 15-oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 15-oz can chicken broth
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
- Three Kings Smoky+Spicy+Sweet Dry Rub
Prep the veggies
- Chop the onion.
- Grate the ginger for 1 tablespoon.
- Mince the garlic.
- Zest the lime, avoiding the white pith. Use 2 teaspoons zest. Quarter the lime.
- Peel the carrots and slice them diagonally 1/8” thick.
- Seed the jalapeño pepper and discard the seeds and white pith. Finely chop the jalapeño.
- Slice the mushrooms.
- De-string the peas, trim the ends, and slice in half diagonally.
- Roughly chop the basil.
Cook the chicken & assemble the soup
- Dice the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a dutch oven over high heat until hot. Cook the chicken in the oil over medium-high heat, seasoning with 2 tsp Three Kings. Cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through (about 5-7 minutes). Remove chicken from dutch oven and set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in the dutch oven until hot. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the lime zest, garlic, and ginger. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken broth. Heat until boiling.
- Add the carrots and jalapeños, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, chicken, and peas. Cook until just heated through; about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve. Garnish with basil and squeeze one lime quarter just before serving.
Drink Pairing: Moscow Mule
Time: 5 min Yields: 2 Drinks
- 1 lime, sliced in half
- 2 shots vodka
- 1 bottle ginger beer
- 2 copper mugs (optional, but recommended)
- Fill copper mugs with ice. Divide bottle of ginger beer between two mugs.
- Add 1 shot of vodka to each mug.
- Squeeze 1/2 lime in each mug. Stir and enjoy.
Also in Recipes You Can Count on
To help celebrate Idaho Craft Beer Month, we've created recipes that pair perfectly with Idaho beers. Our first recipe pairs with Huckleberry Cream Ale from Laughing Dog Brewery in Ponderay. Read More
I love when I get to entertain my inner geek in the name of more flavorful food. This week, I experimented with sous vide cooking. Even better, I got to build and wire a controller to save about $450 of the cost of buying a fancy sous vide machine. Read More
"That's too much bacon," s aid no one ever. Read More