Smoked pulled chicken: Delicious, flavorful and juicy, this BBQ favorite (seasoned with Kansas City Southern BBQ Rub) is also infinitely versatile and can be used to upgrade any recipe that calls for shredded chicken. Make lots and freeze the extra for later use in quick, easy meals.
First, season boneless skinless chicken thighs with Kansas City Southern BBQ Rub.
Step 2: Smoke for 1 Hour
Next, we'll smoke those thighs over some nice thick cherry wood smoke for 1 hour.
Step 3: Roast to 165°F Internal Temp
Then we'll transfer the chicken to a foil roasting pan, drizzle them with some honey and apple cider vinegar, and cover tightly with aluminum foil. We'll roast them at 250°F for an hour and a half.
Step 4: Pull Apart & Enjoy
This is the best part! Once the thighs have reached an internal temp of 165°F, we'll shred them up (tasting all the while) with either a couple of forks, or our favorite tool: Bear Paws. Yes. These babies make you feel like a cross between Wolverine and a grizzly bear.
Smoked Pulled Chicken with KC Southern
Prep Time:10 min Cook Time: 2.5 hrs Yields: About 8 servings
- 2 lbs Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Kansas City Southern BBQ Rub
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Cherry wood for smoking, foil roasting pan, aluminum foil
- Rinse chicken thighs and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Season both sides of chicken thighs liberally with Kansas City Southern BBQ Rub. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, start smoker according to manufacturer's directions, and get some nice thick cherry wood smoke going.
- Once smoke has been established, add chicken thighs to your smoker. Smoke for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven or smoker to 250 °F (121°C).
- Transfer thighs to a foil roasting pan. Drizzle with a couple of "glugs" of apple cider vinegar and drizzle with honey. Toss to coat. Cover roasting pan tightly with foil.
- Place roasting pan in oven or smoker. Roast, covered, for 1-1/2 hours, or until internal temperature in thighs reaches 165°F (74°C)
- Shred cooked chicken with two forks (or, with our favorite tool for the job: Bear Claws.)
- Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce. Freeze leftovers for later use.