Juustoleipa (Finnish for "bread cheese") is a grilling cheese that won't melt when exposed to heat. Seasoned with any of our spices, it's a perfect hors d'oeuvre to serve your guests any time of the year.
Juustoleipä (Baked Cheese) Prep Time: 5 Mins Cook Time: 15-20 Mins Yields: About 35 bite-sized pieces
- 1 6-oz block of Juusto cheese
- Any or all of our spices
- Caboose Spice & Company Cedar Plank (optional)
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sprinkle both sides of cheese block with Caboose seasoning of your choice.
- Score cheese with a knife into bite sized squares.
- Place cheese on a cedar plank, or on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake cheese in oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until soft and gooey.
- Cut cheese into bite-size pieces along score lines. Pierce each with a toothpick and serve.
Where to Buy Juusto Cheese
There are two delicious brands of Juustoleipa cheese that we recommend: Pasture Pride Juusto and Carr Valley Bread Cheese.
- Ridley's Family Markets in Middleton, Idaho: We purchase Juusto at our local Ridley's store; however, you could ask your local grocer's deli manager to order these cheeses for you if they don't already carry them.
- Boise, Idaho area: We've recently discovered that Pasture Pride Juusto is available at Boise area Fred Meyer stores on the cheese island. You can call your nearest store at the numbers here to check.
- Online: You may also purchase Carr Valley Juusto cheeses on Amazon.com ( here) but shipping can be pretty expensive!